Monday, June 22, 2009

Clyde's- Washington DC

Tonight we decided to have dinner in Georgetown. I saw an ad around town somewhere about this place called Clyde's and how they had crab cakes. So we went for it. We made reservations online, but when we got there, it looked like they would welcome walk-ins as well. It's definitely a casual place. You don't really have to get too dressed up. The thing about this area is that everyone seems to wear clothes straight out of the Polo Ralph Lauren and J. Crew catalogs. You see polo shirts and khakis everywhere. So, in SoCal lingo, business casual is probably the way to go.

The table water came in these cool metal pitchers.

We decided to start off with an app. This was probably the best dish we had tonight. It is called the "Crab Tower". I know, it sounds like bad news happened in your pants, but hey, I didn't name it. It is what it is. Anyway, its lump crab sitting on top of seaweed salad, and a coconut curry rice cake. It is topped with tobiko (fish roe) and avocado and drizzled with a ginger miso sauce. This thing is awesome. The crab was delicious and the Japanese components blended with it well. The rice cake wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it would be one of those dry styrofoam type of rice cakes in the health food aisle. It was actually rice cooked in the coconut curry and had a crisp shell around it. A very nice dish.

Then it was time for dinner.

The wife had the single crab cake served with corn, tomatoes, and potatoes. The crab cake was definitely better than our first experience yesterday at Martin's Tavern. These cakes had the nice lump crab and were not deep fried. So, there was no battered coating this time around. The only thing about this dish is that it is not very filling. It could have made for another nice appetizer.

I went with their cowboy steak. This was kind of depressing. The steak is not aged. I'm fine with that. After all, it's not really a steakhouse. But describing it as a 14 oz Bone-In Ribeye on the menu, got my hopes up. I was expecting a nice steak on a decent size rib. I got a thin steak with a bone nugget in the corner of it. It is very much like a steak you could get at places like Denny's or IHOP. Not that I'm knocking those places... I love moons over my hammy and rooti tutti fresh & fruty. Definitely don't order steaks here.


For dessert, we went with their chocolate and croissant bread pudding. This was pure buttery bliss. I've had more than my fair share of bread puddings. At this point in my life, this one is my favorite. What a great concept of using croissants for a bread pudding. Because they use croissants, the bread pudding was not as heavy and dense as your typical pudding.

Not that the bread pudding is already good enough. There's chocolate hidden at the bottom. Good stuff.

Till next time kids...
Peace Out.

Clyde's of Georgetown
3236 M Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 333-9180


I'm from LA Trick

No comments:

Post a Comment