Thursday, October 1, 2009

Triunfo Tacos

For the past few weeks I've been on this street taco binge. I'm talking about those tacos you would get after a long night of debauchery in the clubs of Tijuana. You know, right before you crossed back over the border. So, I told my coworkers how I needed a street taco fix. But, San Diego was too far to go from Orange County during lunch. Luckily, one of my coworkers understood exactly what I was looking for.

She knew of a little taqueria not far from our office. It was great. The menu was simple. Pick the meat you wanted in your taco. That's it. All the tacos were $1.09.

I went for my personal favorite Al Pastor. Then got back in line for some Carne Asada, Cabeza, and Lengua. Every taco is topped with some chopped cilantro, onions, and salsa. They also throw some sliced radishes on the plate as well.

The Al Pastor was nicely marinated. If you don't know, it is marinated pork. It is a little spicy, but nothing too serious.

The carne asada is pretty standard issue. Nothing unique with their marinade. I think a little more lime juice would do them some good.

Now for the Cabeza (cow head). It was like eating the skin off the face of the cow. It was kind of chewy. I tried to see if there was any distinct flavor to the meat, but they pretty much douse this taco with a ton of salsa verde (green salsa).

The lengua (cow tongue) is soft and tender, kind of like a good steak. But, I think this meat is just boiled. So it basically takes on the flavor of the salsa.

For $1.09 per taco, I'll definitely be frequenting this joint at lunch times to come.
But, I'll be sticking to the Al Pastor.
There was one meat I have yet to try... Buche (chitlins, i.e. intestines). Maybe next time... maybe.

El Triunfo Taqueria
1840 S Standard Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92707
(714) 836-1990



I'm From LA Trick

No comments:

Post a Comment